Hiking Photos

Sunday, September 25, 2011

MAGICAL (JEW)EL-VILLE

15TH HIKE: GUNPOWDER FALLS AKA "COVERED BRIDGES"

Facts

Location: Kingsville, MD

Park: Gunpowder Falls State Park

Trail: Gunpowder South Trail (?) 

Attraction: Jerusalem Mill (with re-enactments of old Jewish Quaker settlements)

Date: 8/21/11


Adventure

I took off in the Adventure-Mobile with Rebecca and Mauricio for a day of hiking in Maryland. I was excited to be hiking in a different state. When we got to gunpowder state park the mill and shops were closed until 11 or noon. At first I could not locate the trail start and went through different versions of the map trying to discern where the hike should begin. Finally I found a man in the field behind the Jerusalem Mill. My first concern was that the gentleman wouldn't break character to help guide me towards the trails, but he was kind and obliged my request (most likely because the park was not officially open yet for tourists.) Rebecca, Mauricio, and I began our jaunt down by the river...I shot my baby (sorry couldn't resist the Neil Young reference.)


Standing on the Covered Bridge
The main feature of the trail was a really cool covered bridge that we spent some time analyzing and photographing! On our walk through the woods we saw a variety of cool stones, mushrooms, bugs, and toads? The most phenomenal aspect of the hiking experience was by far the conversations that occurred. I am not sure how many miles we walked in the woods as we were on a time limit due to evening plans and rain was a factor. We constantly stopped to take photos and examine the environment around us. The experience of being out in nature and catching up with good friends was glorious, but I must be honest the hike itself was fairly simply and not too spectacular when compared to other adventures in this blog. Hiking with friends is always worth the trip and we beat out the rain on the return voyage so that was also a bonus. What was really interesting about our topic of conversation was that we spoke of  the future, energy, tarot cards, etc. There was a great deal of positive energy surrounding us on this trip to Maryland and it felt like there was magic in the air.
Orange Mushrooms
Once we completed our walk through the woods we went over to one of the actors to discuss the tools she was shaping, such as cups and combs from animal horns. Rebecca, Mauricio, and I sat around a picnic table to indulge is some treats for lunch. Rebecca had packed some chicken and I recall their being chips, granola bars, and I wanna say fruit. Just as we finished our lunch the rain arrived so we hopped in the car and headed back home for ice cream! If you've yet, to notice ice cream and food in general seem to be the themes to my tales.


Good Times!

No comments:

Post a Comment